I want to start by apologizing to every NFL fan who has to actually sit and watch this game on primetime. I really prayed that the NFL would flex this into the 1:00 start time, I can’t stand the 4:00 start time for the Colts, they are either prime time or 1:00 and this Colts team doesn’t deserve any primetime game next year. As I mourn the Indianapolis Colts season, it truly makes me think, where do the Colts go from here? I have an idea, it’s crazy and wouldn’t work but its an idea. The LA Rams are arguably one of the worst teams in the league this season, Matt Stafford is on IR and they have no picks next season. Stafford signed a 4 year, $160 million with an opt in after year 4 to extend to a 5 year deal. The Rams most likely do not want to pay out that contract and they need picks, the Colts have pick, cap space and need a QB. Stafford isn’t super old, he’s heading into his age 35 season well rested. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Colts trade a draft pick/picks for Stafford and try and draft a QB like Hendon Hooker, could Matt Ryan be traded as well to start in LA? I don’t know the cap implications because the Rams are way over the cap but can you imagine a healthy Stafford on this Colts team? Well, with a good offensive line, including drafting an offensive lineman in the 1st round, I heard there was a pretty damn good lineman from Northwestern. This game sucks but lets talk about how to win the game. The Cowboys lead the all time series 10-7 but the Colts won the last in 2018 with a shutout.
Offensive Keys to the Game
- Make Parsons Invisible: Micah Parsons is a monster who hasn’t showed the ability to be stopped, with how awful the offensive line has performed, they did a good job quieting the Steelers, only allowing 3 sacks and one of the sacks was Ryan’s fault and with T.J. Watt and Cam Heyward, you would expect a lot worse, although he was under heavy pressure during the game. Parsons will look to feast and if he does, Ryan won’t be able to move the ball.
- Run the Damn Ball: The Colts have an inability to do what’s working. Jonathan Taylor ran the ball 20 times for 86 yards and 1 touchdown against a Steelers defense that ranks in the top 10 against the rush. I can’t see them win this game throwing it against the Cowboys. The Cowboys are giving up 4.7 yards per carry this season, if you don’t run the ball then you won’t win
- Try Something New: Matt Ryan has not had the ability to take shots and with an interim coach, it doesn’t matter what plays you run, try flea flickers, screw around, just do something different and fun to make the guys enjoy playing the game. The normal run on 1st down, pass, pass, punt is not working, lets see a drive where you only run it, lets see a drive only passing it, just have fun because it doesn’t matter anymore.
Defensive Keys to the Game
- Take Your Food Out of the Oven, so it Doesn’t Get Burnt: CeeDee Lamb is becoming one of the best receivers in the NFL. You have to expect Stephon Gilmore to take him on in man coverage today with Isaiah Rodgers Sr. and Rodney McLeod assisting, but they will have their hands full.
- Stop the Run: The Cowboys have a lethal two headed monster with Ezekiel Elliot as the early down back and Tony Pollard showing explosive ability on the later downs. The Colts struggled against Benny Snell, giving up 5.2 yards per carry and it is going to be hard to believe they will not struggle this week too.
- Force Mistakes: Dak Prescott has shown his ability to lead this monster of an offense, they are fast and can punch you in the mouth quickly, if they can steal possessions from the Cowboys and keep their offense off the field, the Colts can hold the Cowboys down enough to outscore them
Player of the Game
Jelani Woods was the leading receiver last week but I see the ball on the ground
23 ATT, 102 YDS, 1 TD