Here is my first mock draft of the year! For the upcoming NFL draft, although it wasn’t nearly as hyped up as last years, I am still incredibly excited for the madness that is April 29th. The amount of rumors and chatter on who to draft, I cooked up a basic 1 round mock with some…interesting…takes to say the least. Definitely looking forward to spending my first NFL draft while doing sports social media on The Up Dawg, and am excited to show the Mock.
(Brief explanation will be given for top 10, and other picks worth noting)
(I added my own trades and will note when they happen)
- Jaguars – Trevor Lawrence, QB, Clemson. Last year was Joe Burrow, this year it’s Trevor Lawrence. The undisputed best QB in the draft. Now, he isn’t the best prospect but positional value is key, and having a great QB is the first step in the long rebuilding process. The Jaguars get their guy to move forward with.
- Jets – Zach Wilson, QB, BYU. The BYU product is in my opinion, not the 2nd best QB in the draft but with the great pro day and buzz around him it seems inevitable the jets will draft him. With the trading of Sam Darnold, it seems apparent the Jets will go QB at 2 if they don’t trade down. This leaves the door open for Zach, who if the Jets can provide him with the right guys, could be a solid starting QB.
- 49ers – Trey Lance, QB, North Dakota State. The NDSU product follows Carson Wentz as a top flight draft pick. The QB can do it all, it’s just with questions around his competition. he definitely has the skill set to become the next great 49er QB, but he may need some developing before that time comes. This team was super bowl contenders before an injury riddled season in 2020, a solid QB could be all they need to hit the next level.
- Falcons – Kyle Pitts, TE, Florida. Probably the best talent in the draft, Kyle Pitts does it all. literally does it all. 0 question marks on this guy what so ever, the Falcons get a solid proven piece for Matt Ryan and a possible one last ride with this core before they blow it up.
- Bengals – Ja’Marr Chase, WR, LSU. NOW before you come at me for having them not pick a linemen, I think they will pick Chase but really, really want them to go linemen. I feel like Burrow wanting Chase will tilt them towards it more than what most believe, and they will fall into the trap that is no O-Line once again. Every instagram meme page will be all over this pick for sure.
- Dolphins- Penei Sewell, OT, Oregon. I feel this is the correct pick. Now they do need weapons, but they have the rest of the draft to get some as this class is loaded with offensive talent. The best O-Linemen in this class will help tremendously in Tua’s development.
- Lions-> Broncos- Justin Fields, QB, Ohio State. My first trade, and it’s a big one. Justin Fields in my opinion will fall into the Broncos lap and it will be one of the biggest steals in the draft. He will be a solid QB, and the Broncos can move on from Lock and start fresh.
- Panthers- Patrick Surtain II, DB, Alabama. Patrick Surtain is, in my opinion, the best DB in the draft. he can do it all and is the most polished and NFL ready DB in the class. I really, really like this kid to the panthers, a team trying to improve its defensive side.
- Broncos-> Lions- Jaycee Horn, CB, South Carolina. Jaycee Horn is going to be a solid CB, and with the Lions miss on Jeffry Okudah, they may want to run it back with another CB, to try and develop one of the best secondaries in football. It is definitely risky, but it could pay off big time and the Lions have nothing to lose.
- Cowboys- Rashawn Slater, OT, Northwestern. The Cowboys need an O-Line to protect Dak, getting a solid prospect from the draft will help. Not a flashy pick, but something to significantly help their team.
- Giants- DeVonta Smith, WR, Alabama. Alabama WR’s are almost always great in the NFL, Smith should be no different. The Giants adding another weapon could make them a threat to the Football Team in the NFC East.
- Eagles- Jaylen Waddle, WR, Alabama.
- Chargers- Christian Darrisaw, OT, Virginia Tech
- Vikings- Azeez Ojulari, EDGE, Georgia
- Patriots- Caleb Farley, CB, Virginia Tech. There is a lot of buzz with what the Pats will do this draft, Cam in the QB room most likely means he will get a 2nd chance. There is no need to have another potential QB in the room when you could go after a significant need in CB.
- Cardinals- Greg Newsome II, CB, Northwestern.
- Raiders- Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, LB, Notre Dame.
- Dolphins-> Titans- Samuel Cosmi, OT, Texas.
- Football Team- Micah Parsons, LB, Penn State.
- Bears- Christian Barmore, DT, Alabama. The Bears are one of the busiest teams in rumors, especially QB ones as they are scrambling for options. But this late, is Mac Jones really going to solve your problems? Mond or Mills later on makes more sense, but just forcing Mac Jones here doesn’t make much sense.
- Colts- Joseph Ossai, EDGE, Texas.
- Titans-> Dolphins- Rashod Bateman, WR, Minnesota. They get their weapon here. The Dolphins add the WR they need, to fully surround Tua with as many weapons as possible. Now we should see what he can do as a QB with a solid cast, and lead this team to the playoffs.
- Jets- Najee Harris, RB, Alabama. Getting Wilson weapons will really help him kickstart his career, and Harris will add to Wilson’s luxury.
- Steelers- Kwity Paye, EDGE, Michigan. This could b e Jones’ landing spot, but an already crowded QB room led by fan favorite QB Ben Roethlisberger would be an awkward spot for the QB to land. Just bolster this defense even more, as it lead them to good (kinda) places last year.
- Jaguars- Alijah Vera-Tucker, OG, USC.
- Browns- Jayson Oweh, EDGE, Penn State.
- Ravens- Trevon Moehrig, S, TCU.
- Saints- Mac Jones, QB, Alabama. The Saints will want to explore their options, and taking a shot on Mac isn’t the worst move in the world. he isn’t supposed to fall here, so why not give it s shot? Brees retiring gives them options and Jones most likely will be one of them.
- Packers- Teven Jenkins, OT, Oklahoma State.
- Bills- Ifeatu Melifonwu, CB, Syracuse.
- Chiefs- Creed Humphrey, C, Oklahoma. The Chiefs showed their biggest weakness in the Super Bowl and need to capitalize on it before other teams can take advantage of it.
- Buccaneers- Travis Etienne, RB, Clemson.
That is the SG Mock 1.0! Check out my instagram for more @sportsgreatness_, let me know your thoughts in the comments!